In this article we will discuss about what is Preoperative nursing care assessment?
* Introduction of Preoperative
* Definition of Preoperative
* Essential Steps in Preoperative Assessment
* Preparation of Patients
* Preparing of Person on the Day of Surgery
* Skin Preparation
* Why Sleep is important in Preoperative
* Procedure of preoperative
* Arranging the Theatre List
* Appropriate Equipment
* Operating List
* Prioritized Patients
* Nurse Responsibilities
A preoperative assessment clinic is essential to gather all information optimise co morbidities and then organise anesthetic, surgical and postoperative care before surgery actually takes place.
* Preoperative is the preparation and manage ment of a patient prion to surgery.
* The preoperative period runs from the time the patient is admitted to hospital or surgicenter to the time that the surgery begins.
– History taking
– Physical examination
– Collating pre-admission information about diagnosis.
– Arranging any further diagnostics investigation.
– Making special preparations for the particular operation.
– Investigating and any inter current or occult illness suggested by medical clerking.
Preparation of Patients:
Preparing of Person on the Day of Surgery Preparing of Person on the Day of Surgery:-
Instruct patient to remove dentures or partial plate , contact lenses, glasses, or Prostheses . I may remove his hearing aid. However , if the patient wishes to keep his hearing aid in place, information operating room and PACU staff of this decision.
Skin Preparation :
– The surgical site is cleansed with an antimicrobial to remove soil and reduce the residents microbial count to sub pathogenic levels.
– Remove the hair at the site of surgery.
– Nurse should do everything to help the client sleep the night before surgery, often a sedative is ordered.
– Adequate sleep helps the client manage the stress of surgery and helps healing.
Vital Sings :
– In the preoperative phase the nurse assessment and documents vital signs for baseline data.
– The nurse reports any abnormal findings,such as elevate blood pressure or elevated temperatures.
– Gathering and recording concisely all relevant information.
– Planning to minimise risk and maximise benefit for the patient.
– Prepared for adverse events and how to deal with them.
– Communication with patient and all members of the team.
Arranging the Theatre List :
– Date, place and time of operation should be matched with availability of the personal.
Appropriate Equipment :
– Appreciate equipment and instruments should be made available.
Operating List :
Should be distributed as early as possible to all staff who are involved.
Prioritized Patients :
– Children and diabetic patients.
– Life and limb-threatening surgery.
– Cancer patients
Nurse Responsibilities :
– Providing a peaceful and secure environment.
– Providing information and it’s related risk factors and the nature of the cerebral artery aneurysm to patient and his/her relatives.
– Teaching and motivating a preoperative patients.
– Prevention of constipation and arterial blood pressure increase.
– The pre-operative nurse is responsible for assessing the patient’s physical, psychologic and social states, Preparing the patient for surgery and implementing nursing intervention.
The pre-operative assessment is an opportunity to identify co-morbidities that may lead to patient complications during the anaesthetic, surgical Or post Operative period . Patient schedule for elective procedures will generally attended a pre-operative assessment 2-4 weeks before the date of their surgery.
The anticipated out come of preoperative preparation is a patient who is informed about the surgical course, and copes with it successfully. The goal to decrease complication and promote recovery.